Thank you and congratulations to Seattle AFS 2011 conference attendees, including sponsors, exhibitors, dignitaries, speakers, and guests for making this the largest American Fisheries Society meeting ever and quite possibly the largest-ever gathering of fishery and aquatic resource professionals in history. Over 4,300 people from 32 countries attended the meeting, which featured over 400 posters and 600 oral presentations organized into 95 symposia that collectively addressed issues related to fisheries, habitats, and fisheries science.
The meeting also featured over 120 tradeshow vendors and sponsors, 19 continuing education courses and workshops, and 6 tours of local fisheries projects. As one attendee put it, “I believe the 2011 meeting set the stage for what will become a whole new generation of AFS meetings, reaching a much greater proportion of the membership and extending far beyond.”
Please see the following information to address your post-conference questions:
- Registration Inquiries: For information regarding registration, payments, or receipts please contact Eva Przygodzki eprzygod [at] fisheries.org
- Continuing Education Inquiries: For information regarding certification, registration, payments, or receipts; please contact Kathryn Winkler kwinkler [at] fisheries.org
- Abstract and Presenter Information: A compilation of abstracts and presenter contact information – Compiled Abstracts from the AFS 141st Annual Meeting (PDF)
Please note: We cannot distribute copies of presentations. If you want a copy of a presentation, you must contact the author(s) directly
- Conference Imagery: To view or download images from the conference go to http://afs2011.org/photos to visit the AFS page on flickr.com. Select “large” file size for a 500 kb file and 10-second download (fine for email or newsletter use), or “original” file size for a 3-5 MB file and 2-min download, for magazine publication. These are for non-commercial use and copyrighted by AFS. Please credit with the photographer’s last name included in the file name.
- The 6th World Fisheries Congress will be held 7-11 May 2012 in the Edinburgh International Conference Centre in Edinburgh, Scotland. Additional information can be found at http://www.6thwfc2012.com.
- The AFS Special Project made possible through additional fundraising has formally kicked off the non-profit organization Ecologists without Borders, in partnership with the American Fisheries Society. Visit www.ecowb.org or follow at www.twitter.com/EcoWB.
- Make plans to attend the 2012 AFS Annual Meeting in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. The theme of next year’s meeting is Fisheries Networks: Building Ecological, Social and Professional Relationships. Conference attendees will have the opportunity to network with fisheries professionals and students, stay current on the latest in fisheries science, and enjoy the sights and scenes of the Twin Cities and “Land of 10,000 Lakes.” Visit www.afs2012.org
Regards and thanks to all for a wonderful meeting,
Cleve Steward and Larry Dominguez, Conference Co-chairs
Craig Busack and Dave Ward, Program Co-chairs
Wayne Hubert, First Past President, AFS
Gus Rassam, Executive Director, AFS